This post is inspired by the work of Stephen Covey, one of my all time favorite inspirational writers (7 Habits of Highly Effective People), and a great communication skills quote maker.
1. Letting the opinions of others control your life
- It’s not what other think, it’s what you think about yourself that counts.
- You have to do exactly what’s best for you and your life, not what’s best for everyone else
2. Running from problems that should be fixed.
- Stop running.
- Face these issues, fix the problems communicate, appreciate, forgive and love the people in your life who deserve it.
3. Making excuses instead of decisions.
- Most long-term failures are the outcome of people who make excuses instead of decision.
4. Being indecisive about what you want.
- You will never leave where you are until you decide where you would rather be.
- Make a decision to figure out what you want, and then pursue it passionately.
5. Procrastinating on the goals that matter to you
- There are two primary choice in life: to accept conditions as thye exist, or accept the responsibility for changing them.
- The best time to plant a tree is twenty years ago. The second best time is now.
6. Choosing to do nothing.
- You don’t choose how you are going to dies, or when.
- You can only decide how you are going to live, right now.
- Every day is a new change to choose.
7. Overlooking the positive in your life.
- What you see often depends entirely on what you are looking for.
- You will have a hard time ever being happy if you aren’t thankful for the good things in your life right now.
8. Not appreciating the present moment.
- Too often we try to accomplish something big withoutrealizing that the greatest part of life is made up of little things.
Betty Lochner is the Owner of Cornerstone Coaching & Training. She is also the Director of Washington’s Guaranteed Education Tuition Program. She specializes in personal and organizational transformation and is the author of Dancing with Strangers: Communication skills for transforming your life at work and at home and 52 Communication Tips. Both are available on Amazon.com.
To find out more about Cornerstone’s services and offerings visit our website: