Well, I’m back. Yes, I have returned from a 2-week vacation. A relaxing, fun, amazing vacation. My husband and I spent 10 days together in Hawaii hiking, biking, and resorting. Then I headed from there to a long weekend with 2 girlfriends on the Oregon coast.
This morning, it all came crashing to a halt when the alarm went off. Wow. I hadn’t heard a real alarm for two full weeks.
It was a quick and brutal re-entry. With the knowledge that the vacation was “over”, I immediately shifted from casual, caring, attentive, communication to short hand language. I started using one and two-word sentences like “You coming?” “Hurry,” and, “What’s that?”.
Yep. The party’s over. Real life awaits. And the early signs are here and they aren’t pretty.
Top 10 signs you know your vacation is over:
10. You know exactly what day and time it is.
9. No one asks you every few minutes if they can get you anything.
8. Your drinks don’t have little umbrellas in them.
7. Those great videos you took? Lost in transfer.
6. You don’t know the most recent cover story on People magazine.
5. You find two dogs in your bed.
4. You begin using short hand communication.
3. You are expected to wear shoes.
2. You can’t measure the productivity of your day by how many fun books you read.
And, the number one sign you know vacation is over……
1. You begin planning next year’s vacation!
It’s true, returning home after vacation can be brutal. But, I do have to say that slowing down and enjoying some time away was worth it. Slowing down my communication was a treat. Something I will try to be more aware of as life gets fast again.
And, as I work through my re-entry shock, getting stressed about day-to-day life, being less patient, maybe even a bit cranky, I will take a breath and picture myself on a beach hike in the sunshine. And room service.
Yeah, that works.
Betty Lochner is the Owner of Cornerstone Coaching & Training. She specializes in personal and organizational transformation and is the author of Dancing with Strangers: Communication skills for transforming your life at work and at home.
To find out more about Cornerstone’s services and offerings visit our website: