The truth about smiling: communication at it’s best
Smiling can be a powerful communication tool. And, many studies have concluded that smiles come with lots of unexpected benefits.
Here are a few smile facts you may not know:
- Smiling has been proven to make you appear more friendly, approachable, confident and competent.
- A genuine smile is contagious. When you are smile, you’ll instantly make 25% of your friends happier and 10% of their friends happier.
- Your smile can be a predictor of how long you’ll live – an average of 7 years longer than non-smilers.
- We were born to smile. Pictures of children in the womb show we smiled before we were born.
- Children, like my friend Princess Emi here, smile an average of 400 times a day. Adults smile an average of only 20 times a day.
- Smiling reduces stress inducing hormones that can reduce blood pressure and can even help you sleep better.
- Your body is more relaxed when you smile which helps boost your immune system.
- Your marriage will last longer.
- You can change a bad mood into a better one with a simple smile, even if you don’t feel like it. Yep, a forced smile works too.
And here’s my favorite smile fact:
- One smile creates an emotional stimulation in your brain that is equivalent to eating 2,000 chocolate bars (yes, 2000) or receiving $2,500 in cash!
If you want to communicate better, live longer, and appear more competent – which can lead to better jobs and more promotions – then make an intentional effort to increase your smiling each and every day! Let’s get that average back up to when we were kids!
Oh, and as an added bonus, when you smile more you will improve someone else’s day too!
Betty Lochner is the Owner of Cornerstone Coaching & Training. She is also the Director of Washington’s Guaranteed Education Tuition Program. She specializes in personal and organizational transformation and is the author of Dancing with Strangers: Communication skills for transforming your life at work and at home and 52 Communication Tips. Both are available on Amazon.com.
To find out more about Cornerstone’s services and offerings visit our website: