My inspiration for building better communicators came from my own experience taking over an organization where employees were skeptical of change in leadership, yet weren’t working as a team with each other either. Over time, the culture shifted into a program with a highly functioning, productive and engaged team.
But it didn’t happen overnight. I spent time on my own development as a leader and coach over several years to gain the knowledge and certifications I needed to move my team forward. And, while I started to see changes in the first few weeks. I applied what I’d learned along the way by providing professional development training to my staff and then watched the transformation.
We built a work place with open conversations, communal expressions of gratitude, speedy and appropriate human resources issue resolution, and continual process improvement. High turnover rates vanished. For example, our call staff retention rate was about 5 years. The national average is 18 months.
Through my experience and continuing education to stay up to date on the latest training and education tools, I help other businesses, organizations and individuals achieve success in business goals, communication, and collaboration. My goal is to empower individuals and leaders to create happier, more productive workplaces and more fulfilling lives.
My areas of expertise in workplace communication and relationships focuses on:
Betty’s Certifications and Education:
- Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR), national certification by the HR Certification Institute
- BA in Speech Communication, Western Washington University
- M.Ed. in Student Affairs, Western Washington University
- Certified trainer in Performance Coaching
- Cascade Public Executive Program, University of Washington’s Evans School of Public Affairs
- Trained Community Mediator, Thurston County Dispute Resolution Center
- Lean Six Sigma Green Belt, University of Washington Tacoma
- Certified Scrum Product Owner (CSPO), Scrum Alliance
Some of my Subject Matter Areas of Expertise:
- 529 College Savings Plans
- Higher Education administration and counseling
- Client service management and customer service
- Public Works
- State and federal government program administration