Then you are in luck. I’ve compiled my top 5 holiday gifts that cost you absolutely nothing.
They all have three things in common:
- They cost no money.
- They all include you giving your time to communicate your appreciation and gratitude.
- They are all small actions that can have a huge impact.
These gift ideas can either be written down and given as a coupon, or wrapped as a gift under the tree. However you choose to present them, they are all gifts that focus on your relationship instead of “stuff.”
1) For those who don’t live close by, or you don’t see often: A real, live, uninterrupted phone call that includes more than just a few minutes of talking. Set a date to call every week at the same time (and then do it)!
2) A promise to do a good deed. Make a handmade coupon that is good for something like running an errand, babysitting, or doing something that they hate to do (the dishes, cook a meal, clean a closet). Anything that saves them time or that they don’t like to do works great.
3) A personal, hand-written note. Let them know how they have made a difference in your life. Be specific and authentic.
4) Volunteer for their favorite local charity. Try the food bank, animal shelter, or another favorite local charity.
5) Find a smooth stone and write a word in a sharpie pen on it that reminds you of them, a special date, or simply the words “I love you.”
Try one of these, or your own variation. Keep it personal.
A gift of appreciation may just be one of the favorite they receive this year. What’s your favorite gift that costs you nothing?
Betty Lochner is the Owner of Cornerstone Coaching & Training. She specializes in personal and organizational transformation and is the author of Dancing with Strangers: Communication skills for transforming your life at work and at home. Check out her live and online communication skills training.