Here is a quick quiz I use in some of my workshops designed to show you what skills are necessary to be a good listener.
Answer these questions by grading your Listening Behaviors. Read the question and think about whether the statements are true of you.
If the statement is always true of you, note the answer as “Always”.
If the statement is not always true of you, note the answer “Sometimes”.
“Rarely” would indicate that you would rarely or never listen that way.
1. I allow speakers to complete sentences before I speak.
2. I make sure I understand the other person’s point of view before I respond.
3. I listen for the speaker’s important points.
4. I try to understand the speaker’s feelings.
5. I attempt to visualize my response before I speak.
6. I visualize the solution before speaking.
7. I am in control, relaxed, and calm when listening.
8. I use listening noises such as yes, gee, I see.
9. I take notes when someone else is speaking.
10. I listen with an open mind.
11. I listen even if the other person is not interesting.
12. I listen even if the other person is a moron.
13. I look directly at the person speaking.
14. I am patient when I listen.
15. I ask questions to be sure I understand the speaker.
16. I do not allow distractions to bother me when I listen.
If you have mostly Always (14 to 16) you are an excellent listener. Good for you!
If you marked Always for 11 to 13 statements, you are a good listener but could use some help in a few areas. Go back over the questions and see where those area are.
If you marked Always for 7 to 10 statements, you are a fair listener. You need to listen more and talk less!
If you marked Always for 4 to 6 statements, you are a poor listener. Less than 4 indicates an extremely poor listener and you really need to brush up on your active listening skills!
How did you do? Please leave me a comment below!
Register for the NEW Mini Course: Listen Up! : Listening skills: how to actively listen for better results.
The course includes a recorded webinar, exercises, quizzes, discussions, videos and more.
It covers all the materials in my live course for a fraction of the cost. It’s just $17! Check it out!
For more articles on how to improve your listening skills click here.
Betty Lochner is the Owner of Cornerstone Coaching & Training. She specializes in personal and organizational transformation and is the author of Dancing with Strangers: Communication skills for transforming your life at work and at home.
To find out more about Cornerstone’s services and offerings visit our website:
- Join us on Facebook for daily communication tips, advice and challenges!