Ten percent of life is what happens to you; 90 percent is how you respond. ~ Charles Swindoll
It reminded me that things don’t always go the way we plan. And, when that happens, we really have two choices:
1) We can handle it poorly by feeling sorry for ourselves. We can dwell, wallow, complain, be depressed, or just be a slug.
2) We can handle it well by doing something to turn the day around.
So, here’s what I did. First, I talked to my husband over a glass of wine. He’s well trained in listening and supporting. Then, together, we did #1 from my list below. Next, I went to a friends house to talk to her. She helped me do #9 on the list, to put things into perspective and helped me “let it go.”
Today, I share my list of my favorite ways to turn a bad day into a better one:
1) Reflect and pray. Take time to remind yourself of all of the great opportunities life has to offer you, and, that this too shall pass.
2) Count your blessings. It could have been worse, much worse. Think of everything that’s going right in your world. Write them down.
3) Take a break; go for a walk or do something you love (for me, it’s gardening) and think about all the possibilities for tomorrow.
4) Write a note to someone who has made a positive difference in your life. Mail it.
5) Do something nice for someone. Enjoy their smile.
6) Call the most positive person you know and just say hi.
7) Do some physical activity. Release those happy chemicals into your bloodstream.
8) Play with your children or your pets. They offer unconditional love.
9) Look at the bigger picture. This is only one day of your life. Don’t let it take over. Tomorrow is a brand new day.
10) Remember that no matter how challenging your situation is, how you respond and handle it will make all the difference.
And, today? Well, it’s a new day and I’m ready to face it!
How do you turn your bad day around?
Betty Lochner is the Owner of Cornerstone Coaching & Training. She specializes in personal and organizational transformation and is the author of Dancing with Strangers: Communication skills for transforming your life at work and at home. And, it’s now available on Kindle! Check it out.
To find out more about Cornerstone’s services and offerings visit our website: http://www.cornerstone-ct.com
Please “like” my Facebook fan page and stay in touch!